About the Support Centre for Data Sharing
What is the Support Centre for Data Sharing?
The Support Centre for Data Sharing (SCDS) initiative focuses on researching, documenting, and reporting about data sharing practices that imply novel models, and legal or technological challenges. Our focus is on the practices of sharing, not on the data.
It is our ambition, over the course of the initiative, to assist organisations, both public and private, with insights regarding:
- data sharing practices: legal, technical or, in general, professional procedures that are observable in the space of data sharing.
- legal frameworks: the broad systems of rules that govern and regulate decision making, agreements, compliance, laws, etc. Our focus is on the legal frameworks of the European Union and its Member States, however we will also observe and learn from the experience of other countries worldwide.
- access and distribution technology: data security, identification and traceability of data sources, and data publication through APIs.
What is the Support Centre for Data Sharing not about?
The scope of the space SCDS addresses is very wide, and we need focus to be effective. This means carefully choosing our scope and collaborating with other pre-existing initiatives and working groups rather than trying to cover their space, too. The scope of SCDS does not extend to developing the following topics:
- Open data. Please visit the dedicated European Commission website: data.europa.eu.
- Data sharing between individuals, for example between friends or family on social networks and its implications on pri-vacy. Our research will be on the awareness of the legal frameworks dedicated to protecting individuals’ rights, such as the EU General Data Protection Regulation.
- Technology topics that are related to, but not strictly about, data access and distribution. For instance, we will not study subjects such as cloud computing or blockchain, developed respectively by other EU initiatives such as the Free flow of non-personal data or the EU Blockchain Observatory und Forum.